Kids Ki-Aikido Martial Arts Class (Beginner)
Description: Classes are taught in a traditional dojo setting. Courtesy, respect and cooperation are fundamental lessons, and built into the formal beginning of each class. Children learn a variety of activities and skills, including stretching and playful warm-ups.
Time is devoted to learning the fundamental movements of the Ki-Aikido martial arts at a level that is appropriate for small children. We focus on making the class a fun way to get exercise and teach the basic concepts the children will need to know as they grow older.
A Ki-Aikido art consists of one person attacking and another person performing the Ki-Aikido technique (made up of throws, re-directions and pins). Because attackers are frequently thrown to the ground, it is necessary to learn how to fall safely. These skills are taught at the pace small children are able to learn them. Other students in the class train with respect of each other’s abilities in this area.
Lessons are often summarized at the end of class, showing students how the day’s learning can be applied to their life outside the dojo, including some of the following applications:
- how to maintain focus (called “one-point”)
- how to stay calm in stressful situations
- how to respect themselves and others
- how to work with a partner through cooperation
- how to use their skills in daily life
- improve relationships with friends, siblings, parents & teachers
- improve school performance
- improve performances in sports
- cope with bullying and peer pressure
- learn how to see a task through to completion
- how to resolve conflicts without fighting
- how to defend themselves by re-directing attacks away from them safely
DAY: Monday, Thurs
TIME: 5:10pm-6:00pm. Class begins promptly at 5:10pm.
CONTACT: Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
COURSE FEE: $55 a month (see more on Aikido pricing). Please make checks out to The Oregon Ki Society, with “West Linn Dojo” in the memo. Wear loose fitting clothes (sweat pants and a t-shirt) or Aikido GI.
Membership provides access to ALL Oregon Ki Society dojos, so members are encouraged to train as often as possible for the best value.
DIRECTIONS: We are located in the lower level of Bolton Plaza. We recommend parking behind the building vs parking at street level.